Regular Renewal

Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board.

Your PR card needs to be valid when you provide it at the port of entry in Canada. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one though you continue to remain a permanent resident of Canada. It is generally issued for five years and in some circumstances for one year.

If you want professional service and information on the permanent resident card renewal, we invite you to contact our office.

Renewal Based on Humanitarian and Compassionate (H&C) Grounds

In Canada, to keep your permanent resident status, you must reside inside Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. Sometimes permanent residents are unable to meet this 730-day residency requirement due to circumstances beyond their control. The law permits those individuals to apply for a renewal of their permanent resident card based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds in case their circumstances prevented them from residing inside Canada. If the decision-maker is satisfied with the evidence regarding reasonable and compelling reasons of absence from Canada and finds the existence of humanitarian and compassionate grounds, the decision-maker may renew the permanent resident card.


In case permanent resident applies for a renewal of PR card or PRTD, and the application is refused on the grounds of failure to meet residency obligations, they may appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada to challenge the decision of the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

In case you intend to renew your PR card or file an appeal after the refusal of your PR card renewal application, we invite you to contact our office.